Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Weekend in the Fab Lane

My flight to Houston was longer than expected.
I was trying to visit my sister, when headwinds
and an in-flight emergency got in the way.
The visit was important to me because my younger
sister, Stephanie, had recently been diagnosed with
cancer, again. (Bet you're glad you're not in
my family. It's okay. I understand.).

A lesser woman would have crumbled at the mere
mention of cancer. Not my sister. Again and again,
she has approached cancer with the same fabulousity
in which she pursued everything in life.

Seriously, my sister is a force of nature.

To prove it, we had mani/pedis, lunch and retail
therapy reminiscent of an episode of
"The Real Housewives" Any City, USA:
Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Juicy Couture, and David Yurman.
Why was this woman on a first name basis with Rossi
in the Gucci Salon and Trey at David Yurman's?

Well you know what I did next...
I phoned Big Papa to get pre-approval of my purchase.
Then I handed over the plastic and purchased a
crossover ring, for the day I cross over to the cancer-free
side. Stephanie pulled out her Black Card (Housewives' style)
and purchased an identical ring, now known as our "sister rings."
The deal was sealed with a(nother) flute of sparkling wine.


...and that was just day one!

In the coming months, we will both start chemo.
And there will be times when we wrestle with doubt.
Those are the times when we'll each draw strength from our sister rings and our weekend in the fab lane.

2 comments:

  1. Sisters. Are. Great. I agree. Mine have been doing errands for me/with me for 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful and I love the pink polish too. I'm glad you had fun in the fab lane. It is scary that the salespeople know your sister by name but I know you will draw strength form your weekend together. I'll be praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete