Thursday, October 29, 2009

What I will miss

I am trying to imagine whether I'll mourn losing my breasts. I've been so focused on the cancer, I hadn't given it much thought.

So I've decided before losing my second one, I should at least think about it.

My first memory of breasts, weren't of my own.
I was in fifth grade. Our class was released for recess, and my classmates and I went herding down the hill toward the playground. Back then, all kids loved recess. There was this girl in our class who, let's just say was "over developed" for a fifth-grader. As she raced toward the swings, something went terribly wrong. The zipper on her dress split apart; her bra came unsnapped; and one of her breasts came bouncing out. She was flushed with embarrassment.

I felt bad for her. But I laughed anyway because I was ten.

I won't miss her breasts.

My next memory was in grad school.
It was summer and our class converged on Galveston to study shore erosion. I shared a room with two other classmates and was the one who answered the door. Professor B. and I had almost concluded our conversation when, just before shutting the door, one of my girls spilled out. I gasped! He turned beet red, backed away, and never mentioned it again.

I won't miss that.

But what I will miss is feeding my children. For nearly three years (total, not each), I fed Christopher, Cameron and Noah. Cameron was an especially good eater: the only baby I've known to gain weight, instead of losing it, before leaving the hospital. Breastfeeding was more than a way of bonding with my babies. For me, it was the way my breast fulfilled their intended purpose.

Now that both breasts will soon be gone, I suppose that's okay too. They have completed their mission.
I know they will never look the same again.
And I'm sure that one day, I'll try to remember what they used-to look like.

But I also know that one day I won't wince or see anything particularly unsightly about my breasts. I will still feel like a woman.
And one day, I will count my blessings.

There's no way I would miss that.

5 comments:

  1. As one person I know says, "At least now I get to be any size I want." That is one way to look at it.

    From a social work standpoint, we usually counsel you on the mourning aspect. It is normal to mourn the loss of breasts! They have been a part of you since puberty. Mourn the loss, work through it, and know you do have friends who will listen.
    Love,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck, if they're gonna kill you, they're not worth keepin'. Traitors. Git a rope! Hasta la vista, baby. Glad you caught it before it was too far gone.
    This December will mark 5 years since Dale had his right kidney and his prostate removed for cancer. We are both glad it was found in time and those buggahs are gone. His favorite song? The BeeGees: "Stayin' Alive"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually remember a conversation we had about how we hated our breasts. And you know what? Why does no one ever get cancer in their butt? I could really use removal of most of that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Deneitra,
    I am first going to see if this goes through otherwise I will try facebook. -- Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Deneitra,
    Sorry for the above note. I wrote a long note to you previously and then could not figure how to post it. By the time I figured out how to set up my google account I lost my note. Anyhow I am so sorry you and your family are going through this. I have to keep the note short this time since I need to pick my kids up from school, but I wanted you to know that you will be in my prayers regularly. The fact as of now may be that you have cancer but we both know the truth that you have already been healed by what Jesus did on the cross. And God's truth trumps the facts. I pray that your body will quickly come in line with God's truth and that God will bless you and your family with His comfort, peace, and love during this difficult time. In His Love,
    Kristine Neal

    ReplyDelete