Thursday, October 22, 2009

Better than a cell phone

Yesterday I was sitting on the sofa, when my oldest son, Christopher got home from school. He had grown unaccustomed to seeing me in the family room or the kitchen...the place I used-to be before the cancer. Lately when he returned home from school, I was upstairs and in bed. The simpliest demands of the day seemed to drain me since having surgery. But on this day, yesterday, I was eager to see him. When he turned the corner from the foyer into the kitchen, what I saw shocked even me.

It registered quickly; Christopher realized that I virtually sat before him, instead of being tucked away upstairs. As he looked into my eyes, his countenance rose like the sun appearing over the horizon. The corners of his mouth turned up,"Mom! You're up!"

He could hardly contain his excitement as he ran over to hug me, carefully measuring his grip so he wouldn't hurt my wounds.

I know it wasn't Christmas, but you would have sworn I'd handed him his first cell phone.

5 comments:

  1. Deneitra,
    That is terrific, and exactly what I am talking about! It is the little things. The kids need you, as much as you need them right now. Bask in the love they share with you. It is healing for you both.
    Love,
    Ginger Goldman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris invited me to read your blog - and I'm glad he did. You are both amazing!

    Norah MacPhee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm constantly surprised when a teenager who normally doesn't show much emotion reacts to me in a way that reminds me that they do, indeed, need you. I know people tell you this, but it still shocks me. Glad you're up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, I was so happy to read this post! It is moments like this that you need to concentrate on during the rough times. Your family is terrific and it because of you and Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dee, what a beautiful, sweet, joyous moment! I am all 'verklempt' - that's Yiddish for full of emotion. (My Yiddish lessons are courtesy of Belle) This is the kind of medicine you need more of. Thanks for sharing this tender sweet moment with us. :)

    ReplyDelete