Sunday, October 18, 2009

Missed the Race

I sensed gratitude this morning, as I awoke to the fleeting sound of rain and a vision of runners/walkers, in a wave of pink, slick from the mist. Then I remembered my friends -running in my honor...the way I had done so many times for my younger sister Stephanie, my Aunt Dorothy, and my 100 year-old grandmother, Katie.


Before learning of my diagnosis, we'd registered to "sleep in for the cure." I didn't really have a reason at the time. I'd actively participated in the Race since the late 90's. Now I understand that it would have been a major undertaking with the drains, bandages and pain ball that cling to my torso.

But now I also understand just how people in my life have truly appreciated my efforts to "race" for them and for others diagnosed with breast cancer.

Today I feel like a winner!

And oh yeah, UT's win over OU yesterday didn't hurt either.
HOOK 'EM!!!

4 comments:

  1. You are a winner! I still sense that all of our prayers have been answered and you will be fine. Rest, take that pain medicine, and let the nurses in your house do their jobs. You are GREAT! You know that. You have so many friends that love you, and we are all praying for you! You are a good woman Deneitra Greeen - Hutchinson!

    Love,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gladly run any race for you my friend. Suddenly breast cancer awareness month and all the races for the cure have new meaning for me!! I never knew anybody before that was so dear to me with breast cancer. We continue to keep you ans your family in our prayers and anxious to visit when you are ready!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dee,
    I want you to know that I am praying for you and your family whenever I have a quiet moment. Although we haven't know each other very long, I think you are one if the stongest, most beautiful, woman I have ever met. I admire your strength and your ability to stand up to this thing and declare victory...because , no matter what, you are a winner! By the way, you look fabulous, even in that oversized gown. I think you are a medium...as a bariatric nurse...I know large...you, my friend, not large.
    Hang in there! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure you will be back to PoKeNo in no time :)..Love Ya, Girl!! Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing - a shout out to Audra and Karen for runnning yesterday's race. I can't get there without you...without any of you.

    ReplyDelete