Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Doesn't Care about Cancer

Thanksgiving does not care about my breast cancer.

There was no moratorium on the holiday because of my diagnosis.
Americans did not stay out of the grocery stores,
forgo that visit to grandma's house, or miss their favorite football games.


I could have selfishly thought: what have I got to be thankful for?
No one would've blamed me after explaining how sick I'd been the night before,
or that I just didn't feel like celebrating this year.


INSTEAD
We kept our plans.
Jeff fried a turkey; I made the cranberry sauce.
We enjoyed a wonderful dinner with friends:
running out of beer (after stores were closed);
watching the dogs circle as the ham and turkey were carved;
serving semi-homemade gravy (for fear of lumps);
...and now that I think about it, did Noah eat his vegetables?

Nope, Thanksgiving doesn't care about cancer.
And today, neither did I.

No comments:

Post a Comment