Monday, November 16, 2009

Home Alone

Today was my first day, home alone.
My mother returned home to Houston;
Jeff went back to his patients;
The boys headed off to school.
I worried that I would feel lonely today.

I planned a trip to the Post Office.
Not only to get out the house, but because
There was a package I needed to mail to a friend.
But as quickly as I began to plan my day, I remembered.
I had already consumed my daily drug cocktail.
Since there were no commercials urging me to "take meds; drive responsibly"
I thought it best to skip the driving and stay home.

But I wasn't alone.
My neighbors met me at the bus stop;
A girlfriend phoned from New York;
Another friend stopped by to check-in.
I received emails, one or two cards and a couple more phone calls.
I even received a pair of beautiful Norwegian earrings.

Sometimes being by yourself isn't at all lonely.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad it went well! You are healing, or so it seems. Ignore the commercialss! If you feel alert then you are doing okay. My mom taught me that. Tomorrow I have to go to my supplier, and I know, you know why :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Deneitra...up to my neck in the BIG DINNER this week but I still think of you every day and check the blog to make sure you're okay. You're not walking this path alone - we're all walking it with you. That's what friends are for. Sometimes one is there, sometimes another, but you know you have people you can count on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear, remember that you are never alone! Your friends, your family and the big guy upstairs are all keeping you lifted and in our embrace. And hey, who couldn't use some peace and quiet once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you get lonely, call me and I'll bring you a big lasagna, some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Anything for you!

    ReplyDelete