Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Good, The Bad & The Padding

In less than 24 hours, I will be back on the operating table
where the surgeons will perform an axillary lymph node dissection
(fancy name for removing lymph nodes underneath the pectoral muscle in the arm)
and to mastectomize (is that a "Don King" word?) my good breast.

I want to keep and remove my good breast, at the same time.
There is no cancer there.
The left one was the bad one.
And it's already been mastectomized.

As I prepared for the taping of Columbia Matters (probably my last one with my own hair), my mind raced through the usual details (hair and make-up, script, jewelry and wardrobe). I did the mirror check before heading out and noticed
my right breast,
my good breast,
hanging a little lower, looking a little sadder, (okay a lot sadder)
than my left breast,
my bad breast.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? MY BAD BREAST HAD BECOME MY GOOD BREAST???
I HAVE TO PAD MY GOOD BREAST TO LOOK AS GOOD AS MY BAD BREAST?
(Not only that, I have to keep looking down in-between taping to make sure that padding isn't climbing up my neck or sliding down my stomach.)


Now, that's just not right...and neither is cancer.

4 comments:

  1. Keep the humor Deneitra! It is important to healing. Sleep well (if you can) I will be praying for you tomorrow night. I wonder if people are wondering how come I am suddenly at synagogue weekly? More Mi'Shebeirachs coming your way! Love, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee,I really have been praying and thinking about you...I just read all of your blogs znd was all teared up.... I am continually lifiting you and your family up... I also want to knwo what I could do to help in any way... If you need me to take your sons to any Jack and Jill activities please let me know... I praise you for all yout blogs.... Look forward to tslking with you soon... Please let me know if I can share your blog with one of my co-workers who is a survivor....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you, and thinking about you.

    ~Edie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Dave's fault...but you're in our thoughts and prayers. Hope the surgery went well. I'll call when we get back.

    ReplyDelete