Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An Open Letter to Sean & Co.

Dearest Sean & Family, Neighbors & Friends:


How do I begin to humbly thank you for such an exquisite gift?
I can think of no American equivalent, no tradition that adequately expresses my gratitude.
I only hope my words will convey what is in my heart, after having received such a great treasure.

When your package arrived last weekend,
I was too weak to read the letter.
Jeff read it to me while unwrapping the lovely Senbazuru.
Handing it to me, I struggled to comprehend how such a thing of beauty was created.
But with each line of your letter, its meaning and its power was revealed.
I was in overwhelmed, not only by the Senbazuru's complexity, but by your words.

Before he could finish the letter, I was already looking at the little "Alleluia" book...
A present within a present.
As I explored the pages (back-to-front), I found a picture of you and 1000 cranes organized across the floor.
I flipped the photo over. "Passion" was written on the back.
It certainly takes passion to complete such a task!

I turned the next page. Another picture. This time the word "Spirituality"was written.
Tucked among every few pages were pictures of family, friends, neighbors, students, employees, and one of the biggest surprises - SANTA,
each one smiling, with out-stretched hands, displaying tiny cranes, each carrying a prayer.
Every picture as unique as its message on the back: support, respect, miracles, healing.

I am finally feeling much better now.
My Senbazuru hangs in my bedroom window and is one of the first things I see when I open my eyes each morning.
It is like seeing a thousand new prayers each day.
But it is also an ever-present reminder that God is:
INTRICATE
ABLE
COMPLEX
FAITHFUL
FAR-REACHING
GENEROUS
COLORFUL
DIVERSE
WITHOUT BORDERS
LIMITLESS
MAJESTIC
and more TRANSFORMING than I could ever think or imagine.

One more thing, before I close.
I didn't think Hallmark would have an appropriate one, so I wrote my own

Haiku

Water-colored cranes
One thousand folded prayers
Rise and sustain me

With thanksgiving and love,
Dee

1 comment: