Thursday, January 7, 2010

"C" Day

First things first, Nurse Linda would draw my blood and ensure that my port worked.
Nothing happened.
She wasn't worried; I was.
"We've just got to play with it a little," she explained.
I was not in the mood to play, but she got that blood flowing.
STEP 1: DONE

Met with my doctor next. Had to change into a gown, which I didn't understand because
"I have no breasts!" Doc was more concerned about my anemia than anything else.
Turns out my numbers were okay, so
"Pass the chemo, please."
STEP 2: DONE

Pouches of clear liquid dangle from an I-V pole. Liquid slowly travels through the I-V tube and empties into the port in my chest. My face itches a little on one side. I have a funny taste in my mouth, and I'm starting to get sleepy.

"WHAT do mean I haven't started the chemo?????"
Turns out they start with a couple bags of saline and steroids.
"When do I get my chemo?" I asked.

NOW

Three tubes of red-tinted Doxorubicin or Adriamycin, are pushed through by a nurse over a 20-minute period; followed up with Cyclophospamide or Cytoxan through a drip, lasting about 30 minutes.
STEP 3: DONE

Only 15 treatments to go.

2 comments:

  1. You're going to make it - strong - Texan - Deneitra. One day at a time. With sense of humor intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when they "play". Yeech! You are a UT longhorn for a reason, woman! Hang tough. Lots of love and prayers are coming straight at you. The wind is helping them get to you faster. G2

    ReplyDelete