Monday, January 4, 2010

"Can I ask you a question?"

I needed to go to the mall today.
I had one item to return and wanted to take care of it quickly.
But before I could reach my destination, I was accosted by one of those pesky kiosk workers,
selling ceramic flat irons.

"Can I ask you a question?" inquired the salesman.
"What's that?" I responded, stopping to give him my full attention.
"What do you use on your hair?"
Before I had a chance to answer, he proceeded to deliver his best pitch for a product that would smooth the hair shaft; was available in 1", 3/4" and 1/2" barrels; and wouldn't damage my hair like some of the other products on the market.

When he'd finished his schpeel,
I looked him directly in the eyes and said,
"I'd buy the red one if I weren't starting chemo later this week."

Awkward silence...
So I continued,
"I will be completely bald in about two weeks time."

Just kidding. Here's what really happened:
"Can I ask you a question?"
"No," I said, walking away and heading into Victoria's Secrets.

4 comments:

  1. Dang it, I so wanted the awkward silence bit to be the end. Those moments can be priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too funny! You should really pursue your gift of the written word. Not only are you an inspiration with the way your are facing your challenges, but you are a hoot to boot! I think about you daily and will continue to pray for strength and love and healing during your chemo treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You should have said that to the kiosk person. They are so obnoxious! Maybe they need to be more aware of the journey the common mall shopper might be on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my husband's response to "Can I ask you a question?" He says, "You just did."

    ReplyDelete