Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm Losing It

...my hair.
All of it.
Not by the strand
but by the fistful.

I can't pretend any longer.
I have the face of cancer.

I stare at my reflection,
where hairs stood just a couple of hours ago:
vanished,
clean scalp now appears.

I never thought I'd have to do it so early in life...
let go of the outward manifestations of beauty,
the kind that people are comfortable with.

Will they feel uncomfortable now?
Or will I be the uncomfortable one,
as I wait for inner beauty to
either
emerge
or
retreat
behind the face.

2 comments:

  1. You will ALWAYS be beautiful...bald, bereted, or scarved. Even fat (oh wait, that's me).

    Hang in there, sweetie - lasagna this weekend (that's the fat part - but you're worth it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girl.... you do whatever you need to do (i.e., emerge or retreat)in your OWN time. Your OWN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every person's values are tested on their own journey's... yet some basic things remain... are we loved? Are we beautiful (which ultimately means, are we loved?)I'm sure what u discover (IN YOUR OWN TIME WILL BE POWERFUL). As for my answer to those questions (in case u ask): I LOVE YOU AND HAVE ALWAYS AND WILL ALWAYS KNOW YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL THRU & THRU.

    ReplyDelete