Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chemo Cyborg

I recall Debbie Allen saying something like:
You need to stand in front of the mirror, with all your clothes off. If you can't stand to look at it, nobody else is going to see it either.
Ms. Allen was referring to a time when she needed to go on a diet and lose some weight.

I remembered her remark as I prepared to shower.

I scanned my naked image in the mirror:
no make-up;
bald head;
chest medi-port and IV line, that a friend said resembled a beauty mark;
tissue expanders, housing my temporary breasts;
scars from the drain holes, left on both sides of my torso.

I should have looked away,
not because I need to lose weight,
but because I found myself thinking:
If I stick the Bluetooth in my ear, I will look like a cyborg.

But I don't like Sci-Fi.


No comments:

Post a Comment