Monday, January 18, 2010

Big Hair, not Big Head

Most of you know it as MLK Day.
Or you might refer to it as A Day of Service.
For me, today was Wig Consultation Day.


I'd originally scheduled my appointment for last Monday, but chemo aftermath kept me home. I rescheduled for today and showed up with a girlfriend in-tow. I was running out of time; my hair would be gone soon.

"When is your next treatment?" my stylist inquired.
"Friday," I responded.
Bonnie explained that I would probably start to lose my hair three to five days following treatment.
"But it will grow back," she added.
I knew she was right.
She was a breast cancer survivor, and she had hair.



When it was time to measure my head, I assumed there were three wig sizes - small, medium and large - and that I'd need large.
After all, I'd been told I had a big head.
And Daddy's cranium earned him the nickname "Head Green" while playing college football.
Didn't I have his head?

So, you can only imagine how shocked I was to hear,
"You have average-sized head."
"Huh? My best friend always says I have a big head."
Bonnie clarified, "You don't have a big head; you have big hair."

I chuckled, realizing that my big head and big hair would disappear in about a week.

1 comment:

  1. But big brains and big heart can't nobody debate! Love u girl (Mom asked about u today).

    ReplyDelete