Monday, May 17, 2010

Meet Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior

The Preakness has come and gone.

Many of you supported my efforts to become this year's Ms. Preakness Pink Warrior.
Thank you for voting for my essay.
Super Saver didn't win his race, and neither did I.

Another survivor was awarded this year's crown.
Her name is Charelle Barnes, and I'd like to tell you about her.

Charelle was first diagnosed with cancer the same year my sister received her initial diagnosis of breast cancer. That was sixteen years ago.
I'm sure that Charelle, like my sister, never expected that her cancer would return.
Both women were wrong.
In 1995, Charelle's doctor found a lump in her breast.
Following treatment, Charelle's cancer returned in 1996; she has been fighting to live ever since.

My sister's cancer returned in 2003, 2004, twice in 2007, and most recently in 2009 - the same year I was diagnosed. She too, continues her fight as she undergoes chemotherapy.

At age 36, Charelle currently has Stage IV metastatic breast cancer in her lung, bones and brain. Instead of succumbing to the disease, she continues to fight, to dream, to win.

I have never met Charelle Barnes, but I am inspired by her warrior spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Charelle Barnes has something in common with you, an outstanding woman. I am proud of you both.
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete