Friday, May 14, 2010

R.I.P. Miss Lenora

"Linda, have you seen Lenora?" I asked. "I haven't seen her in a while."
Linda was my very cheerful chemo nurse. She smiled; she usually smiles.
"Oh, you heard? Her daughter called Tuesday to tell us that she died."

Her words poured over me.
I'd met Lenora, shortly after starting the Taxol part of treatment.
(see 13 March blog)
I never met her daughter.
Since our initial encounter, Lenora and I would briefly chat about treatment, Jesus and fashion.
Funny thing about women: we can bond over a hat just as easily as we can over cancer.

"And she looked so good," Linda commented, while checking my IV pump.
I thought so too.
I knew Lenora's battle with pancreatic cancer would be harder than mine.
But I considered it too cliche' to be a patient who learns of another chemo patient passing away, while undergoing treatment.

Instead, I chose to play the DON'T ASK; DON'T TELL game.
I knew Lenora's schedule, and I should have seen her every two weeks. I chose not to ask
....until today.

"Yeah, we've lost a lot of good people over the last couple of months," Linda said, still smiling, but less cheerful. "At least we know they aren't suffering anymore."
Here we go with the cliche's again.
I said something about being sorry that Lenora had died and wondered if I would cry.
I didn't.

Instead I chose to pray for her family and loved ones who needed comforting.
And I prayed for those left behind to fight on.
Rest in Peace Lenora.

No comments:

Post a Comment