Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Survivorship and Sisterhood

I got a call from a college sorority sister a few weeks ago.
I had not seen or spoken with her since leaving the university.
She contacted me
to tell me she had breast cancer.
Her surgery was scheduled for April 6th.

The doctors were encouraged by the MRI findings. They speculated that no lymph nodes were involved.


I listened,
quietly remembering how my own surgeon had been encouraged by my MRI, recalling that she thought my lymph nodes looked good too.

That was 12 treatments ago.

It's been exactly one week since her surgery, so I called today; I wanted to wait long enough for the pathology results.

This time the doctors WERE right:
clean margins;
no positive nodes;
no need for chemo or radiation.


Either way you get there -
SURVIVORship and sisterhood sounds really good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment