Sunday, April 25, 2010

Got Nipple?

Last week I met with my plastic surgeon.
My breasts (as they are) hadn't seen much of Dr. M. since December, and my left breast was looking a bit like a deflated football.

The resident entered the exam room first.
"What brings you in today?"
I mentioned my nipple.
"Your nipple?" she wondered aloud and confused.

She was probably thinking - Lady, you don't have nipples. You don't even have breasts.

Reading her mind, I stated the obvious. "Well I don't actually HAVE nipples, but see this?" I asked, opening my gown, showing her.
"When I wear something thin, the corner of my left expander looks like a nipple poking out."

She considered my point (pun intended) of view: the tip of the left expander, near the mid-line, extending out of my chest. "You're right."

I awaited the doctor who had the power to decide whether, after several months of slowly watching my left breast flatten, I would get a refill. I knew Dr. M. wanted to wait until AFTER radiation, but I was hoping he'd have pity on me and give me some juice.

Dr. M. walked through the door, smiling and happy to see me. I thought he would immediately notice my warped breasts.

"Are you wearing your hair like that because it looks good or is it from chemo?"

When was the last time you met a plastic surgeon more interested in admiring your hair, than examining your breasts?

I got my "refill". But next time, I won't wait so long before seeing my doctor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment