Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Best Thing to Say

Sometimes people don't know what to say when they learn I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.


One family member called because he heard I was a little under the weather.
Oh, you mean like when I have cramps?
Then there was the kids' bus driver, who wanted to know if I'd been sick.
I nodded and mouthed: BREAST CANCER.
"For real?" She recoiled in disbelief.
I nodded again, perhaps expecting too much.
"Okay. See you later," she said before grabbing the handle to pull the door shut.
Did I say something wrong?
My children have also had their moments.
According to my youngest son, he was dressed up, like "an old women, with a bald head and wig."
Did he call me old?

But the best comment came earlier tonight.
As we watched the Olympic speed skating competition, my ten year-old son turned to me and asked, "is your cancer getting better?"
I smiled and told that my cancer was gone.
It had been removed months ago.
Without realizing it, Cameron knew exactly what to ask.

2 comments: