Monday, June 28, 2010

I Don't Like the Way this Story Ends

I was sitting at the kitchen table when Noah threw his arms around me.
"You're the luckiest mom in the world!" he proclaimed.
I hugged back.
"Why is that?" I ask.
"Because you have me," Noah responded, matter-of factly.

Earlier that afternoon, I wasn't so sure.
Jeff, Cameron and Noah had accompanied me to my first radiation treatment.
The doctor thought it might be a good idea if the boys saw where I was receiving treatment; she thought it might diminish some of their fears.
After checking-out the exam monitors and radiation equipment, they were whisked away so I could begin treatment.

Fifteen minutes later, I was dressed and back in the reception area.
Noah handed me a story he had written:

Once upon a time,
there was a boy,
a boy who was born to dance.
But there was another boy who loved food.
The boy who was born to dance was named Harold.
The boy who loved to eat food was named Henry.
They were brothers.
They played together.
They sang together.
They even went to the same school.
Harold was six. Henry was six too.
They had a big garden.

Their mother died, but their dad was still alive.
His name was Harry. Harry was a parent.
They were all sad because their mother had cancer.
They found a way to have somebody to be a mom.
That was Harold's idea.
But did it work?
It did work!
They were so happy and jumped around.

THE END

Hmm....I wonder what Noah would have thought if he'd seen the chemo room.

3 comments:

  1. Deneitra,
    You know about my mom's battles with cancer. I, too, wrote stories like that in my head. It was my way of coping. No one would talk to me about it so I made up my own world, and my own stories. Had he seen the chemo room, he would have been more scared. He is working through the cancer in his own way. I hid my stories. I also hid my poetry. Eventually, when the battle was over, my mom found them, and continues not to let anyone throw them out. She still knows where they are. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deneitra... I don't like that one either. But... I can sympathize... well... I just feel the "blankness".... it's a stunning consideration. makes me want to cuss. But, Ginger's right... he's working things out in his own way. How can a young child make true sense of all of this? The sense of reality must be rather tenuous. I'm not gonna lie... I don't know what to say. Dammit... I'm searchin my head for words... I can't find them.
    Hey, I'm in Trinidad now... visiting family. I showed my ex-husband ur pic and told him the situation. Again... blank. I'm at a loss for words. You are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky to have Jeff to be there for you like that. He's blessed as well, of course, to have you. Never, never, never, NEVER take for granted the gift u all share. NEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff was the first one to explain Noah's story to me. I even tried to ask Noah about it, but he wasn't the least bit disturbed by what he wrote. After a day or so, I let it go. Noah, Cameron, Christopher and Jeff are potentially the greatest blessings in my life. I don't know what comes next, but I know I can't take any of them for granted. <3

    ReplyDelete