Thursday, July 1, 2010

Insomnia...Part Deux

Several years ago,
I remember my sister, Stephanie telling me about the night she couldn't sleep.
I'm sure it was not the first time. One of cancer treatment's little "gifts" is insomnia.
On that occasion, she turned on her television,
hoping to get back to sleep.

A commercial aired for a product that claimed to "help you fall asleep and stay asleep."
Stephanie watched the commercial with great interest since it was 4:00 a.m.,
and she was,
well,
AWAKE.

In her over-tired mind,
she tried to memorize the product's name,
for the purpose of discussing it with her doctor.

With the commercial's conclusion, came familiarity.

AMBIEN
was in-fact, the drug her doctor had prescribed,
that was supposed to help her sleep.

In retrospect, I guess I should be grateful it's only 12:45 a.m.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you start sleeping again soon! Ambien works sometimes and sometimes it gives you a "hangover". Hang in there. You are almost finished with all of this, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hanging with the Benadryl tonight. Didn't work last night, but we will see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an ayurvedic tablet called, "Mentat" that a practioner 'prescribed' to me for my own insomnia (or refusal to go to sleep :-p) I don't use it now, but it did work (with no hangover)... but I dunno how it will interact with the other things ur taking.... or if even any doctor will discuss it with u since it's ayurvedic. But, if u get a chance to see an ayurvedic doctor, please ask.... (and hi, Ginger! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried just about everything to get longer sleep periods at night. Most times, I've found that it's just an inability to rest my mind for a long period of time (for me 5 hours is long;).

    I hope that, like me, you find moments wher you can at least manage to catch a few winks in the late afternoon or evening when there's no appointments or meetings you have to attend. Miss you my friend and hope to see you soon.

    aavee8or

    ReplyDelete