Saturday, March 27, 2010

"Daddy, it's me. Deneitra"

I'm not sure what I expected to find, but I know what I wanted to happen.
I wanted him to hear my voice, recognize my eyes and WILL himself back to this world,
a world he left on Wednesday, December 16th.


Whenever my mother and I spoke by phone, she mentioned how good my dad looked.
"Your father is still such a handsome man," she would say.
But would I see what she saw?


During our short drive over to the nursing home, I phoned a friend, someone who had seen my father since his incarceration.
"Gwen," I asked. "It will be my first time seeing him like this. Mother keeps telling me how handsome Daddy looks. You've visited him. What do you think?"

I don't remember how Gwen answered. It didn't matter. It had taken her too long to respond.
Besides, I was pulling into the parking lot and my mother had already pointed out a parking space for me to take.


I was about to find out for myself.


I did recognize my father, but not as the man I'd kissed good-bye just two days before his collapse in December;
and not as the man I'd visited over the summer, with the entire HutchBunch in-tow. What had he told Jeff?
...that this was the best day he'd had in a long time?
Did he know something that we didn't?


Watching him lay in bed, body not quite straight; mouth twisted like one of those "old" men in a nursing homes; hands clinched and curled like claws - I stood waiting...
waiting for his gaze to meet mine,
to capture me,
to remember.


I stood immobile long enough to notice the curl of his lashes, long and thick. My sister has those lashes, I thought. I looked for the freckles I counted as a child.

"Daddy, it's me. Deneitra. I came to visit you."


Was he there? Did he know that I was?

I had questions without answers.
This is not what I expected.
This is not what I'd hope would happen.
I left his room that evening, wondering if he'd ever rejoin this world.

4 comments:

  1. Deneitra,
    I have always felt that they know you are there! I remember talking to my grandmother in that state. I would notice small changes according to a person's tone, touch, and/or kisses. They know. It is painful to see for us, but they know. It is our job to watch for the small responses, and to show our love. Love, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ginger. Another friend said the same thing to me. It is what I need to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through a similar experience with my great-grandmother. I didn't know if she knew I was her firstborn (and obviously favorite) great-grandbaby, but I knew when she held my hand and patted it, that she knew I was very special to her and she was very special to me. Sometimes just the thought of our hands clasped together during those last days is enough to make me smile when I'm feeling low.

    Don't ever doubt that any of these moments with your Dad are precious to either of you. You absolutely will treasure them deeply in your heart as years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sharon. Hearing (reading) about similar experiences is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete