Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Taking My Life Back

A couple of months ago,
I met a survivor who had just completed radiation therapy.
At the time, I was between treatments and feeling great.
My new friend cautioned, "Everyone tells you how much easier radiation is than chemo. But radiation whipped my butt."

That is precisely how I feel about my experience.
If chemo was HELLISH,
then radiation, to put it simply, was OPPRESSIVE.

What began on June 18th, as a 28-day treatment schedule,
evolved into more than eight weeks of treatment, interrupted by blood transfusions, hospital admissions, and a relentless anti-body that attacked the red blood cells in my body.

At approximately 8:02 this morning, I rang the bell three times, signifying the completion of my therapy.

A poem was read and everyone within earshot, applauded.
For all that I endured, I received a certificate from Radiation Oncology,
the perishable scars of radiation, and
a chance to take my life back from breast cancer.

...and THAT was the point, after all.

6 comments:

  1. You are a true example of strength, humor and resilience. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe (as always) of your strength and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you and the grace and strength with which you have handled this - you are a role model for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I hope that you party hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Now have that Margarita and live life like this is the first day of a new life!

    ReplyDelete