Sunday, June 19, 2011

In Honor of Father's Day

In honor of Father's Day, this week's Parade Magazine discusses "What I learned from my dad."
In it, Luke Russert remembers his late father, Tim Russert, who died three years ago this weekend.
Luke calls his dad his compass and shares life lessons learned from his father.

As I think of my own father,
I am transported to his room
in a nursing home in Texas.
I think of him,
laying there,
G-Tube feeding him nutrition,
trachea assisting his breathing,
eyes wide, staring.

This is not the father of my childhood.

Daddy is strong.
He is funny.
He is the guest you invite to a party and really hope that he will show.
He's the neighbor who offers work to the kid down the street.
He is the master gardener, king of the bar-b-que brisket and great storyteller.

He is the father who assured me that God said I would be fine,
when diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009.

Today, of all days, I think of him
and want to share Daddy's optimism.

3 comments:

  1. When my Father was dying he asked me to take care of my mother and older sister. This puzzled me because I was 23 and single, just out of college. Dad told me that he was not worried about me, that he knew I would be fine. I have hung on to those words during the most difficult times of my life. My Father's belief in me has given me much comfort and confidence over the years. It was his blessing on my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I had to think about this really hard. My birth father died when I was 9, and I never really knew him. The other man that was put on my birth certificate as my father was a horrible man!

    So, here is what my heavenly father taught me: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and every fiber of your being, and love your neighbor as yourself.

    The easiest thing to remember....but the hardest thing to practice. Oh how I love my Daddy!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops I wrote something but wasn't logged in. I have such great memories of Thanksgiving with you family! The love in that house provided much needed warmth. I love your family. You are strong and wonderful just as you and Jeff are bringing your family up to be now!

    As for my father's day, I could tell that my dad was happy to have his two daughters present for brunch with him. He showed us off. Ironically it was Father's Day, my parent's anniversary, and Mom's birthday all in 5 days. I still need to bake them a cake that they are craving. Now that the disposal is fixed, I can do it. They are looking forward to it. I make a little extra chocolate icing since we all love it so much! I think they deserve it after rearing 4 kids! EA

    ReplyDelete