Monday, June 13, 2011

I Remember (as written Friday, June 10)


I am sitting in the chemo room...again... waiting to undergo treatment.


I am forcing myself to write before the meds kick-in and take me under.
I usually disapear this way.


Seated around me are women, most of whom are black.
They are surrounded by other women, various shades of mocha.
We are a village.
A custodian walks in to empty the trash cans.
She comments that we all look the same.
She is right; we are the original Village People.
But today, I don't feel like much of a "Macho (Wo)Man."  


I know I should be grateful. At least I'm not getting chemo.
I only need my infusion of Rituxan.
Yet being here,
having to be here, 
causes a flood of memories to overwhelm me.


I find myself fighting back tears when the chemo nurse, working on the patient across the room, has trouble accessing her port. I watch as the woman's feet flutter in an anxiety-ridden avalanche.

And I remember.


Her15th treatment doesn't diminish the nervousness that I witness.
It's a process you never get used-to; it never gets easier.
Relief is only temporarily achieved after the chemo nurse has successfully accessed the port and there is a return blood flow.


I remember.


My nurse is ready to begin. She dons her mask and pulls out the port-access kit. I kindly remind her for the second time this morning that my port has been removed. She smiles, searching for a vein instead. The one she selects is hardened, the product of last year's Adriomyocin. She tries another, but it won't give up the blood.

A second nurse is called over.
"Maurene can always get a vein." 
Success,
but the blood return is slow, which means my counts will be unreliable, possibly wasted.

I remember.

It is 11:00 a.m. now.
The Rituxan is hung, and I realize I won't be leaving the hospital before
1:00 p.m. I thought I'd waltz in, take my medicine and disappear for seven days.

This is much harder than I anticipated. Jeff is not here, and I find the loneliness unfamiliar. 



Two more villagers enter the treatment room.
I am depressed. 
I need sleep NOW!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh Dee....how heartbreaking. It is really easy for those of us on the outside to say, "stay strong Dee!" or "everything will work out just fine" or even "I am sure you are used to this..." But I could NEVER imagine what you are dealing with right now and every day. I really enjoy reading your blogs, and as you know you were my inspiration to start mine! I wish I had some wonderful words of wisdom, or just anything to help you feel comforted. All I can say is I love you, and am glad that you have allowed me to walk with you via this blog through this part of your life.

    Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, your words mean more than you realize because I am strong believer that words matter. And your presence and support are tantamount to my survival. If I thought I was facing this struggle on my own, I would not have the courage to endure. We are all brothers and sisters, and I am convinced that we need one another. Thank you for being on my side. I am on yours.

    Keep writing.
    <3 u 2

    ReplyDelete