Sunday, March 13, 2011

1000 Prayers for Japan

My heart aches this week for the people of Japan.
It's not as if I don't know anyone living in that country.
As a matter of fact, I know of seven people (some I've met, others I have not).
They are now living in a country devastated by an earthquake and tsunami.

10,000 feared dead
Threat of nuclear meltdown
Shortages of food and water
Loss of electricity

None of the events over the past few days has directly affected the small town of Osaka, where Sean lives. Sean was Jeff's best friend in high school. He has lived in Japan for more than 17 years, and is married to Ikuko. They have four children: Karen, Megan and Sarah, and a lone boy, Simon. Ikuko's mother is part of their family.

In last Friday Facebook post, Sean asked us to pray for the people of Japan.

Prayer: a devout petition to God.

I immediately thought about the Senbazuru, which hangs in my bedroom window. It is a collection of one thousand origami paper cranes held together by strings. Sean sent it to me while I underwent chemo treatment. He didn't personally fold each crane. He didn't have to. Instead, he solicited help from family, neighbors, friends, employees, students...anyone willing to make a crane and say a prayer. The 1,000 paper cranes, intricately woven into a breath-taking design, was an ever-present reminder that people in Japan prayed for me.

In light of the impending nuclear threat, what better time to pray. While I cannot orchestrate the assembly of a Senbazuru, perhaps I can solicit prayer for the people of Japan.

...1,000 prayers for Japan,
Who's with me?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Arundel High School has a delegation of Japanese students visiting for the week from just south of Tokyo - they left than 24 hours after the earthquake and tsunami. We'll be working with the high school to raise funds for the recovery effort, and of course saying prayers.

    And to me the next question is...should we send them back or try to keep them here? I know it isn't our choice to make, but it tears my heart to have these students in a safe place and send them back to so much danger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! My heart breaks for all of the people of Japan...facing things we only have nightmares about. Godspeed Japan...Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine that the students wanted to return home to their families. At least thery were south of Tokyo. Maybe that can offer some consolation. Do you have a way to contact them, via FB or Twitter, just to see how they are doing??

    @ Debbie: we will keep praying, but I don't know when we will be able to stop.

    ReplyDelete